Event Phone: 01243 377780
The Magic of Compost
Join us at the beautiful location of Tuppenny barn for a one day course teaching you all you need to know about making your own garden compost. The course tutor Jane Gleeson will explain the basic theory of how composting works and using the compost systems at Tuppenny Barn let you have a go at exploring compost in a hands-on session. We will look at ways to create compost in gardens of all sizes.
The course will cover:
- How composting works and getting the mix right
- Why compost is good for your soil, your plants and you
- How to use compost in your garden including mulching and boosting soil life
- Different kinds of composting including hot and cold systems, wormeries, leaf mould and compost teas.
By the end of the course you will have gained
- Confidence to get composting
- Knowledge of how to make and manage your compost at home and how to use it.
- Understanding of how to care for soil life
- An understanding of no-dig gardening.
The course is suitable for beginners
People who have some experience of gardening, who wish to be successful at producing compost at home or on a small scale.
Please bring with you
- Clothing suitable for doing practical activities outdoors – sturdy footwear, warm layers, waterproofs and sun protection
- Water bottle
- Notebook and pen
About The Tutor
Jane Gleeson teaches at Tuppenny Barn and is one of the Horticultural therapists here and also works as a grower at an organic vegetable box scheme. She has worked in horticulture for over 22 years and is an experienced gardener, food grower and horticulture teacher. Jane trained at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and the English Gardening School. For many years Jane was the Horticulture Programme Lead and Head Gardener at Schumacher
June 9, 2024
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
|Ticketshow details +